Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast Reduction Surgery at Groote Schuur Hospital
Frequently asked questions
How does the process work to get a breast reduction at Groote Schuur Hospital?
- Breast reductions are not offered to patients on a fee for service basis.
- All patients referred for breast reductions, regardless whether you are a paying or public service patient, are seen at the Plastic Surgery Clinic and if they qualify for a breast reduction will be put on a waiting list.
Who qualifies for breast reduction surgery?
- Your breast needs to large enough to cause symptoms to warrant breast reduction surgery.
- You need to have a BMI of under 28 (Your BMI can be calculated by visiting the following website https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html
- You need to be a non-smoker
If you fulfil these criteria you can ask your GP to refer you to the Plastic Surgery Clinic