Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast Reduction Surgery at Groote Schuur Hospital
Frequently asked questions
How does the process work to get a breast reduction at Groote Schuur Hospital?
- Breast reductions are not offered to patients on a fee for service basis.
- All patients referred for breast reductions, regardless whether you are a paying or public service patient, are seen at the Plastic Surgery Clinic and if they qualify for a breast reduction will be put on a waiting list.
- Once you are on the waiting list an estimation of the cost of the procedure can be requested from the case manager at Groote Schuur Hospital
Who qualifies for breast reduction surgery?
- Your breast needs to large enough to cause symptoms to warrant breast reduction surgery.
- You need to have a BMI of under 28 (Your BMI can be calculated by visiting the following website https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html
- You need to be a non-smoker
If you fulfil these criteria you can ask your GP to refer you to the Plastic Surgery Outpatient Clinic